Thursday, September 17, 2009

All a bit Woolly


This is where I stayed recently in the Alps. It is a brilliant, brilliant place. Anyway...
I think I may have caught the knitting bug. It only started 2 days ago, but I am already trying to find patterns and lusting after yarns (and buttons too for some reason - I do like a good button). I was gifted with the means to start my quickly accelerating obsession on Saturday, by my very generous mother in-law. My better half meanwhile, was gifted with a 2000 piece jigsaw and now has his own jigsawy problems. The two fixations complement each other pretty well actually, and keep us away from our other addiction - the humble public house. Not bad for the bank balance either, which is seeing hard times.
Anyway, I began to knit fairly randomly, casting on a random amount of stitches (let's say between 20 and 30). Random. This took me about an hour. I don't think I'm a natural. Or maybe the self-patterning yarn confused me in it's fury of yellow, orange, turquoise and white. An interesting combination. Still it was free and it got me going. Several rows later my "square" got wider and wider and grew holes and got tangled. Several rows later again, a pattern emerged from the chaos that went before and then I became a very happy person indeed. Like finding that piece of jigsaw with a hairy chest and a tiny part of a flag on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Remember the epic finger knitting sessions in primary school?

My second big wooly blanket is nearly finished, just in time for it getting colder.